Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Newspaper Nugget (Metro NY, 6/14/10)

It's not the Times, but it'll do.


Words of wisdom from, of all places, the horoscopes section of this morning's edition of Metro NY:


Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
"There's a good chance that you're on the verge of producting something that has impressive potential. Keep doing what you're doing, because it could earn you a higher position in life."

Not that I normally follow my horoscope (or believe that astrology holds the precious keys to the secrets of universe), but reading these words on my crowded Q train at 8 AM gave me a faint flicker of hope that maybe things really will work out exactly the way I want them to. Generation Y, this message was handmade for you and me. Entry-level desk job living is not the heart of life; it's a temporary period. The ladder must always remain in sight; climbing higher is the inevitable goal.

Usually, I spend most of my commute nitpicking the strange spelling and grammar bits scattered across my favorite free daily newspaper (today's World Cup 2010 article: "France have reached the final twice" and "South Africa have the second lowest ranking"). But today I have to thank Metro for a quiet reminder of future success in a time of frustration hidden within its pages-- even if it was written by a psychic with the exotic given name of "Bernice Bede Osol." Here's looking at you, Bernice.

4 comments:

  1. The Brits use plural verbs for teams and the writer may have had the 4 Brits who are announcing on ESPN in mind.

    The Brit who called the England-US match used the word "lucky" at least 4 times when we scored.

    Luck, said Branch Rickey, is the residue of design. There are no lucky goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, my inexperience is showing. When a phrase sounds odd in my head, I tend to quickly red flag it (or red card it... har har)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're talented and hard-working - you'll end up where you're supposed to! Everything always work out the way they're supposed to. Promise =)

    I'm also a Taurus and this definitely made my super long and crappy day so much better! There is hope for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AN: Happy to hear that this petite post improved your daily grind! We Tauruses (Tauri?) have to stick together.

    -BB

    ReplyDelete