Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rites of Passage

Careful what you say, New Yorkers.


I'm excited (maybe a bit too excited... oh who am I kidding, I deserve it!) to report that a conversation I submitted to Overheard in New York was officially deemed humorous by Team Overheard and published on the site. Go to the main page, scroll down to the posts dated 7/11/2010, and you'll find my little nugget of an exchange between a mother and her daughter on the subway.


 
Now Quit Whining and Drink Your Cappucino

Little girl: I'm gonna be 4!
Mom: In December.
Little girl: In December!
Mom: And you're gonna be this short forever. You're not gonna grow.
Little girl: Whaaa-aaaat?

--Q Train

Overheard by: Brigid

 
FYI regarding OINY submissions: the reader sends in the quote, and Team Overheard writes the snarky title. In this case, I think they did a fine job. I'd like to thank God, my parents, and the crazy people on the Q train for making this Gothamist's dream come true.
 
On the note of accomplishments, today marks one year since I officially sold my soul joined the working world. I could say something obvious like "Time flies!" or "Where does the time go?" but I won't. Looking back on a major life event almost always puts us in awe of how fresh the event still feels in our heads. On July 13, 2009, dressed for success and fifteen minutes early, I was shaking like a chihuahua in that elevator on my way up to Orientation Day 1. And a year from now, I'll be open-mouthed and wondering how RWY2 (Real World Year 2) will already have come and gone. So it goes.
 
Anyway, one year of waking up at 6 AM, hour-plus subway commutes within my own borough, and working for the man five days a week deserves a personal pat on the back. One down-- a few more to go.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your accomplishment and on your new job anniversary. Time does fly! I will be coming to NYC in the next few weeks and would like it if we do something :) I'll let you know. Great blog and keep on writing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci mademoiselle! I appreciate your readership (and friendship, wink) as always. Congratulations are in order for you too on your first full year as a teacher. Go us.

    -BB

    ReplyDelete