Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Woman Vs. Shoe

The silent-but-deadly culprit.
I hate high heels.
That's right ladies, I said it.

Ask anyone who knows me. Two pairs of heels sit in my closet. I don't even wear the second pair (a hand-me-down from a college buddy). Instead, sneakers (Converse, New Balance) and flip flops (Reeboks, Reefs) litter the floor of my room. Carrie Bradshaw would be appalled.

My rejection of an icon of femininity has now been brutally exposed. But what sparked it, and why?

For starters, I was born with relatively flat feet. The word "relatively" is employed here because something resembling an arch can be found on the inside of each foot, albeit barely there. Heels-- shoes built to emphasize the curve of a woman's foot-- are exponentially more difficult to fit into for flat-footed females like myself. Why put myself through the torture?

Second, I've got rather large feet. Size: 10W. The shock and horror! Hold back your gasps. My feet grew at a rapid rate for as long as I can remember, and they've certainly added an element of clumsiness to my life (which actually worked for me on the ultimate frisbee field of yesteryear). It's uncommon to see a shoe store stocked with loads of women's shoes over a size 9. Having always had less to choose from, I found these stores frustrating and unimpressive in the first place. Sizes 10 and up are the outcasts of estrogen-heavy Shoetopia.

Third: I'm fairly tall (5'6), so I don't feel the need to add a few inches to my height when I'm going out. Heels, pumps, platforms, none of them are necessary. (Perhaps if I were more severely vertically challenged-- a friend of mine stands at 4'11-- I'd feel a tiny bit differently.)

But perhaps most importantly, I'm a product of my environment. My mom was never too heel-crazy herself. I wasn't raised to worship shoes, and this is a financial relief I must thank her for. Such an obsession would be just another extra expense of daily living. I can barely keep up with all of the New Jersey Transit tickets, concerts and drink purchases that have come to define my post-college lifestyle.

However, I do understand that there's a time and place for everything. Obviously I'm not going to show up to a job interview wearing neon green, ripped Chuck Taylor All Stars. This is why I own the perfect pair of all-purpose heels. They can be worn to work, to a wedding, to the bars, wherever. Solid black, standard closed toe with a short heel. The LBD (little black dress) of shoes, if you may. I also comprehend the feelings of empowerment that come with a pair of heels. I dig my LBS (well, they're not exactly "little"). This energy, however, is not exclusive to the wearing of heels alone. It's not just what you or I wear, it's how we wear it (which means even sneakers can be sexy... when utilized appropriately).

To all the Gucci lovers out there who may misunderstand my lack of shoe passion: simply put, I am a person who, for the most part, values comfort over style (or rather, what's currently in style). This is a widely acceptable life philosophy for most guys (or at least most of my male acquaintances), yet it comes across as ridiculous when women express similar sentiments. God forbid somebody might call us frumpy. It all boils down to the pressure to look good, and by "good" I really mean girly. Being feminine/sexy/attractive equals status equals power.

I'm not advocating protests outside DSW or the public burning of Manolo Blahniks. But to my female readers: how about the next time you find yourself on a shopping spree, try out a slightly less sky-high pair that you wouldn't normally buy? Go ahead, blur the edges and toe the line of those gender norms. Your feet will thank you for it.

8 comments:

  1. As an individual with what I'd classify as "normal" arches, dressy flats are often worse than heels in terms of support. Even my beloved flats from Aerosoles cause more discomfort to my feet than their heels do. Drug store inserts are worthless, and the orthotic shoe inserts bestowed upon me by a podiatrist at age 19 (due to back pain from standing as a hostess for long hours in--you guessed it--dressy flats) do not fit in anything besides sneakers. Even short heels serve my feet better than flats do, as the style of the shoe seems to define its inner construction. While I prefer flats style-wise, they fall short (ha ha) of proper support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're totally right about flats (that's why I didn't discuss or advocate them in this post), and I'm very selective about the flats I end up purchasing. I often have to opt for women's dress shoes with rubber/sneakerish soles. They're very comfortable and great for the NYC daily commute, but can be a lot harder to find in stores. Easy Spirit has a nice selection.

    I chose to write about heels after coming across some images of late designer Alexander McQueen's absolutely absurd 10-inch stilettos (which I first saw on America's Next Top Model a few seasons ago). You can find them here:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/07/alexander-mcqueens-10-inc_n_312692.html

    -BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I really do love heels of all kinds, I agree that there's a sentiment of torture in wearing most woman's shoes. I have big feet too (9W) and most shoes give me blisters or rub against my toe-bones. Thankfully, where I work it's acceptable to wear flats and heels, or really nice sandals. I ride the train to work and wear flip flops the entire way and to my desk, where I keep a pair of heels or flats to change into for the work day. Some don't bother with this hassle and stick to sandals all day, but you are right in identifying the pressure to look "good" in the office. It's much more oppressive for women than for men. I'll wear flip flops tomorrow :) ITS FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily I can get away with wearing flip flops every day at work (I keep a dressier pair at my desk, too). Even sneakers give me blisters when I'm running (those darn elongated toes), and that's definitely not a problem exclusive to women... Maybe we should all just go barefoot.

    I found this article on a Facebook friend's profile yesterday. It highlights the long term physical damage experienced by heel wearers. Some serious stuff here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/07/15/128542551/high-heels-can-make-your-calf-muscles-short

    -BB

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right! I'm a true example of a shoe whore. But honestly, I buy these shoes for special occasions and events that really do not happen to often. I find that I wear the same shoes ALL the time. =(

    Having worked at Aldo for a couple years, 10W is common but they just made smaller sizes more available such as 7 or 8. A lot of women do come in, asking for size 11, 12, and even 13 once in a blue but then they yelled at us for "making" our shoes too small. Size 9 and 10 were usually available but sizing never went beyond 11.

    Also blisters are caused by shoes that are too small or too big for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'm on the size borderline. It's way harder for the 11+ crowd. I should've specified about the sneaker blisters: I actually end up getting just one, and it's on the same extra long toe every time. Thin socks and bandaids work magic though.

    Funny how I've started a conversation about feet, a topic I definitely wouldn't have ever wanted to discuss with anyone a few years ago (what can I say-- being in a relationship has opened me up to feet).

    -BB

    ReplyDelete
  7. God gave you big feet early on so you wouldn't fall over later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh-- guess that's the best answer for now.

    ReplyDelete